Saturday, September 27, 2008

Oooh its a killing machine its got everything

I was preparing myself for my daily (or should i say weekly) walking exercise when i chanced upon my ipod which was collecting dust inside my sock cabinet. I opened it and set the playlist on shuffle mode, then off i went to my walking exercise routine. First in the set of the playlist is a michael franks classic "When the Cookie Jar is Empty", culled from the album Burchfield Nine, released in 1978, followed by Stevie Wonder's "I Ain't Gonna Stand For It" from Hotter Than July album. I was now walking faster than how i usually do because of the feel good music, when suddenly, my playlist played Deep Purple's "Highway Star" from the album machine head (YES). I was then transformed into nostalgic mode. I remember this song and the memories attached to it, some clear, and some are blurred. This song is very nostalgic to me because whenever i hear this, I always remember Joey, my good friend, college buddy and "kahati". Together we watched Ian Gillan dishing out this song during his stint in Manila some thousand nights ago. We both rose from our seat, raised our hands and jumped whenever Ian Gillan pointed his fingers in our direction. After the concert, we lit up the remaining "kalahati" before heading on the way home, which was incidentally a village adjacent to each other. Saturdays were always reserved for our mini concert, wherein Joey will bring some blues vinyl albums, I will show him some of my newly acquired rock and roll stuff for my part. I will never also forget the time when we are watching some Pinoy rockers in a concert at the Huerta Alba resort, hosted by the famous DJ and Pinoy rock advocate Howlin Dave (he sang Neil Young's "Birds" at that concert, but that is another story), where he ran out of cigarette (FYI-I'm not a smoker , but it depends hehehe). He then asked me to accompany him to where Howlin and Delilah (Dante's then famous half) was sitting. Once there, he simply asked for a piece of cigarette (which he got). We then returned at the concert. Puzzled and dazed from his action, I asked him how he did it. He simply told me that he introduced himself to them as the brother of so and so. It turned out that his brother is well-known by Dante and Delilah, and that's it. There were more nostalgic memories coming from my mind when I found myself now running to the fast tune of "Highway Star".

0 comments: